Saturday, May 31, 2008

Swedish meatballs

There are some things that just don't seem to go together very well, and yet some people like the combination, anyway. Take Swedish meatballs, for example. This is the classic dish to be made fun of in our household. Laurie likes it, but I just can't get over the thought of mixing ketchup, orange juice, and molasses in a meal. That's just wrong. So there you have it--things that shouldn't go together that someone put together, anyway, and someone else agrees that it isn't so bad together. But this mixing conundrum isn't confined to just food. Oh, no--you can mix all kinds of things that don't belong together. Like, say for example... oh, a cello quartet, and a heavy metal concert. Enter the Finnish bad, "Apocalyptica." This time Laurie thinks that the combination is absurd and that I shouldn't even let Mom know about it because she'd probably puke. I'm the one who likes it. Well, sorta'--I like the original songs and I think it's fun to hear them in cello, but watching the visuals is a bit too much to handle; it just reminds me of ketchup and orange juice. Still, I'd like to share, if for no other reason, I find the juxtaposition amusing. I think I'll make 2 posts, though: one for Mom and one for everyone else. The first one is for Mom. It illustrates the odd combination, but it's not anything as dramatic as post number two...




OK, did you like that one? Now try this one. If you're pressed for time, start 1/2 way through...



Laurie's theory (and I think she might be on to something here) is that these poor chaps were constantly picked on as kids because they played the cello. They continued playing because they were good at it and they enjoyed it, but one can only take so much abuse. They decided to try and prove that they could be as cool with a cello as all the guitar-playing bullies. And what better way to do this than to play their own music and beat them at their own game? ... the rest is history.

No comments: