Sunday, July 08, 2007

Sick little girl

Carol was sick this week. There are many more details than this, but I wanted to praise Laurie for her fabulous mothering skills. In order to get Carol to drink more, I got her a Jamba Juice. She loved it and whilst sitting on my lap, drank it really quickly. Then she started crying and reaching for mommy. I handed her over and then all of a sudden Laurie was covered in the juice that Carol had just drunk. Lucky for me, not so lucky for mommy. After getting her all cleaned up (this was all mommy--daddy was starting to feel ill at this point and was afraid to exacerbate the problem), we decided we'd take her to the doctor since she also had a fever of 102. We got to the doctor's office and the nurse wanted to weigh Carol. Here's my 1 moment of genius--I suggested that if we could put Carol's blanket on the scale, 0 the scale out and then set her on the blanket, she may tolerate it better. It worked. I'm smart. That's the end of my story, but Laurie has more. We got into the little office and then the nurse wanted to take Carol's pulse and oxygen levels, so she had to "tape" (it's a tape that only sticks to itself; very cool stuff) this little device onto Carol's foot. As she was doing it, she said, "... and she'll hate it, all babies do..." And she was right--Carol didn't seem to like the idea much, but then Laurie said, "Oh, look! A SHOE!" All of a sudden the tape was a GOOD thing, in fact, she wanted another one on the other foot. The nurse obliged. For the rest of the evening, even after we got home, Carol kept talking about her new shoes. They were COOL! The nurse was very impressed and even the Dr. mentioned that she had never seen any kid actually LIKE the oxygen sensor thingy taped on to their foot. Laurie is SMART!

By the way, Caorl is much better now, but Laurie has a fever and a sore throat, so we'll be praying for her speedy recovery for the next couple of days. I'll be taking tomorrow (Monday) off to help out and to take Carol to the zoo first thing in the morning when the tiger should be the most active. Hopefully I'll escape the sickness and hopefully the tiger will be frisky...

No comments: